Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a serious health condition that affects 1 in 10 women of childbearing age. Although the name contains the word cyst, not all women with PCOS actually have ovarian cysts. Many don’t actually get them at all, but instead they experience unpredictable and abnormally painful menstrual cycles, hormonal acne, and fluctuation in hormone levels.
PCOS is also known to dramatically impact weight and mood, plus it has can also cause fatigue and low sex drive. This article will attempt to help women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) find relief treating symptoms using the help of different weed products and marijuana strains.
What is Polycistic Ocarian Syndrome (PCOS)?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder with an unknown cause. The factors which seem to contribute include excess insulin, low-grade inflammation, and genetics. All result in excess androgen, but because insulin regulates sugar use and your energy, excess insulin results in hormone imbalances. This excess insulin may increase androgen production resulting in PCOS.
Low-grade inflammation is a normal response to infections and it also increases androgen production. Genetics may predispose some women to higher androgen production but regardless of cause, incrased levels of androgen generally results in the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Increased androgen also results in acne, hair growth or loss, and issues with menstrual cycles.
Different PCOS Symptoms
Symptoms of PCOS are varied. Not all women experience every symptom of PCOS but reported symptoms include irregular menstrual cycles and women may miss or have more frequent menstrual periods. The ovarian cysts are quite painful, sometimes leading to hospitalization. Additionally, women are said to notice increases in hair on the face, chin, or other uncommon body parts for women to have hair. Acne on the face, chin, and upper back as well as a decrease in sex drive.
Thinning hair much like male-pattern baldness. Weight gain or difficulty losing weight. Depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. Darkening of the skin along neck creases, groin, and underneath breasts. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome may also increase skin tags and last but not least, fatigue. Fatigue is 100% a symptom reported by women with PCOS.
Treating PCOS Symptoms With CBD and/or THC
For a health condition with many symptoms, managing them with THC and CBD may be a great option. One paper published in the Journal of Molecular Endocrinology suggested that a dysfunctional endocannabinoid system may be the underlying cause of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Although more research is needed, many symptoms of PCOS may be treated with THC and CBD. THC and CBD are often used to control pain.
For women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) who develop cysts, THC and CBD might alleviate the pain associated. Menstrual cramps, which can occur more frequently due to PCOS, are commonly treated with elevated doses of THC and CBD. Weed products such as edible candies, cookies, or beverages generally taste good and have specific dosing. More health and wellness centric items like capsules and tinctures are frequently chosen to help manage pain and other symptoms from anxiety, depression, and chronic ailments.
Cannabis is often used to promote mood, induce euphoria, and alleviate persistent negative thoughts. Women who use THC and CBD to treat symptoms of PCOS report that it helps balance their mood swings.
Best Weed Strains for Treating PCOS Symptoms
If you are treating Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) with weed products, try these strains and let us know about your experiences.
- ACDC (CBD): This strain can contain up to 20% full-spectrum CBD. It is a CBD dominant strain, so it is less likely to get you high. ACDC may be a good strain for alleviating pain and de-stressing during the day.
- Pennywise (CBD): Although this strain contains higher levels of THC, it also has high levels of CBD. Pennywise gets its name from its genetic cross of Harlequin and Jack the Ripper. With an even 1:1 CBD/THC, the strain creates effects that are described as functional and enjoyable. It may create feelings of relaxation and euphoria, suitable for patients who struggle with depression.
- Bubble Gum Hydro (CBD): This CBD strain may be great for helping relieve muscle spasms and chronic pain. Its calming effects may also be helpful to fight anxiety and stress, as well as induce appetite.
- Agent Orange (Sativa): This strain is a THC dominant, so it’s best for those who have experience with medical cannabis. It may be effective for pain and for relieving symptoms of fatigue.
- Blackberry Kush (Indica): A THC dominant Indica, this strain is known for sedative properties. For managing PCOS symptoms of nighttime pain, this strain may give you total body relaxation. It may also help users get a good night’s sleep.
- Chocolope (Sativa): This THC dominant strain may alleviate the pain as well as depression women with PCOS sometimes experience.
Hemp CBD Joints, CBD Gummies, CBD Tinctures, and CBD Topical
- CBD Rich Pre-rolled Joints: This item features a 12-15% CBD rich pre-roll that may aid in inalleviating anxiety, depression, and pain.
- CBD Gummies: These delicious CBD-infused vegan gummies are made from organic hemp and feature 10MG of full spectrum CBD distillate. These gummies are a great addition to your wellness regimen, whether you take them in the morning to help start your day or to unwind after work in the evening. The Melonade is a combination of the watermelon and lemonade flavor and is the only CBD Gummy we offer that ALSO features 5mg of melatonin. Mango | Mango Chili Lime | Melonade Melatonin
- CBD Tinctures: These three hemp tinctures are crafted with 1000MG of full-spectrum cbd. Featuring natural hemp cannabinoids and custom terpene blends for each specific mood, you’ll likely enjoy the taste and effects from each item. Boost | Refresh | Chill
- CBD Topical: The RMR Cool Heat Stick is a powerful Full Spectrum Hemp Extract Distillate CBD topical, blended with avocado butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba, vitamin E, and other naturally derived ingredients. When infused together, this CBD topical moisturizes skin, soothes sore muscles, provides relief for discomfort, and reduces painful aches quickly.